Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Blessing of Sisterhood






I can still hear the loud screaming of 7 other girls "Floor, Vault, Bars, Beam, we compete as a team....gooooooo Natalie!" Somewhat this form of encouragement from loud cheering of young girls lightens my day unlike anything else. As a gymnast, I spend a lot of time with coaches, judges, and other gymnasts-particularly girls. Young girls. Sometimes they get on my nurves and I lose the patience to be with them much longer or their childish games just get old. But overall-I love these girls and I consider them a blessing from God.




Going back to that cheer. We really do compete as a "team". Team means so much more to me now after these past few months being on a "team". There's our coaches, who train us to do our best and conquer our fears. There's our parents, who support us along the way and drive us to every practice and meet. But most importantly-there is us girls. We grow closer as the season goes on. I've been training with these girls for almost a year now. And I've gone from not tolerating them at all to loving each an every one of them as if they were my own sister. They all have such unique personalites, endless energy, laughter and joy. They've been such a blessing in my life and I don't know how I've ever going to be able to say goodbye in a few months. They've taught me to enjoy the simple things in life. And they've showed me that if they can do it, I can too. They've taught me not to try to grow up so fast. Because It seems like such a short time ago I was their age.
I love their innocence. I love their smiles. I love their strength. I love their courage. I love their talent. But most of all, I love them. We've all got this bond-this sisterhood that I will never be able to return. And I will never be able to pay them back for all the things they've done for me. They may never know it. They may not remember me, but I know that I will never ever forget them or this year. Even on my bad days they cheer me up. They've showed me gymnastics is most about having fun and feeling good about yourself and what you can do. I only wish that I could stay by their side forever. Watch them grow up. Protect them from when their boyfriend breaks up with them. Show them how beautiful they are when they don't think they are. I wish I could be a friend of their's forever. But sadly, I'm in a different generation. So for now I have to enjoy the last little bit I will ever get to be a part of my sisters' lives. Thank you God for giving me the blessing of these little girls. They mean the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment